Monday, 16 June 2014

Looking deeper in to light and colour theory

As an amateur artist I'm keen to absorb as much knowledge from the masters as possible. I recently picked up a book from Amazon entitled Painting the Impressionist Landscape: Lessons in Interpreting Light and Color

Painting the Impressionist Landscape
Lois Griffel (1994)
It's a wonderfully informative book with a wealth of colourful images and plenty of theory.
I've been curious about how the professionals select their colours and apply them to represent light and shade. I confess I am terribly amateur when it comes to considering light and shade. Literally applying white and black to represent each in some cases.


What this book is teaching me is to work harder in selecting my palette. In fact I've pretty much emptied my head of what I thought was right. "Unlearn what you have learned, " as Master Yoda would have said.

I highly recommend this book. It's thorough and well written.

No comments:

Post a Comment