Saturday, 5 April 2014

Short stories

I'm currently enjoying reading a range of short stories. I always wanted to rekindle my love of reading. It's been several years since I sat with a book and enjoyed it. The last one was probably Bret Easton Ellis' Lunar Park. A good book.

So I fired up the iPad and iBooks (I also use the Kindle app) and went in search of some short reads.
There's a ton of them out there and a lot are free. I picked up an MR James collection for 99p. His ghostly tales are wonderful and Oh, whistle and I'll come to you, my lad stands out as a particularly chilling read.

Within a day or two my library collection has become quite large.
I've read a few now and love their style. The liberal use of dialogue intrigues me. In fact it appears to be crucial to the format of the short story. Keeps the momentum up and the reader both interested and in tune with the characters.

I'm currently reading Hemingway's The Old Man and the Sea. It's beautifully written and extremely honest. I've wanted to read a Hemingway story for a while since his name crops up a great deal within the short story fraternities on the internet. His style is extremely accessible and his content thorough and well researched. I think it's fair to say this guy knew his subject and his characters intimately before he began to tell their story. There's a valuable lesson to be learned there, I'm sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment