Sunday, 9 March 2014

Living with Adrenomyeloneuropathy

For a long time I didn't want to talk openly about being disabled. The disability that I have is fairly complex and the underlying condition is extremely rare. You can read about adrenomyeloneuropathy here.
I recently changed my mind.
Partly as a process of getting things off my chest and partly as a means to find people in a similar situation, I'd like to open up a bit.
The condition has changed my life. I've learned to adapt to many of its effects but some things are beyond me. It recently saw me separate from my wife. I guess being married to a disabled man isn't everyone's idea of fun. I am currently going through divorce and talking to mediators, lawyers and anyone else that can help. I'll certainly be glad when it's over.

So I'm keen to express as much as I can about living with this wretched disability. I figure the more I write about it the more I'll start to understand it. It will hopefully also help me to move forward a bit and break down certain barriers. If there's one thing that I'm indeed very guilty of it's placing large barriers in the way of moving forward.

I'd love to hear from anyone that suffers from this condition or even a condition with similar symptoms.

No comments:

Post a Comment