Tuesday, 11 February 2014

Hitchcock and suspense

I'm enjoying rekindling my love of film. Recently I've taken to watching what I might refer to as Sunday night films. Fitting then that I generally watch them on a Sunday night!
Hitchcock stood out as a fine film just lately. Admittedly it was my worrying preoccupation with the ever striking Scarlett Johansson that drew me to it, but Anthony Hopkins shines as the man himself. A fine insight in to one of cinema's most celebrated and mysterious characters. 
I'd love to have the focus and expertise to work in film production. To be a creator is something that I strive toward in my daily life. To have something published to a cinema audience would be an enormous thrill. I wouldn't much care for the spotlight that success might bring but the chance to see my vision splashed across a large screen would be staggering.
Controversial film producers, especially those that changed our perception of what a film can be, fascinate me. From Hitchcock's Psycho to Kubrick's 2001, Freidkin's Exorcist, Scott's Alien and of course Speilberg's Jaws, I'm left baffled by the minds of these great visionaries and the incredible lengths they went to to preserve their vision, such that we could enjoy such a vivid and disturbing piece of cinema.
I have a particular fondness for the macabre in film. Disturbing and uncomfortable are more effective key words in describing the action than bloody or gory. With blood and gore the action requires no explanation. No second thought or additional processing. Far better to engage the brain and have a thought linger forcing the viewer to try and draw their own conclusion. This mystery element can be the  key in unsettling the viewer and it's something that I find fascinating.
As a fan of the Game of Thrones TV series I've seen shocking and disturbing twists in every episode. There's nothing Hitchcock about them but they deliver as unsettling a punch as anything that he produced. To have something linger on your mind long after the film has finished is surely a key goal of the writer.

No comments:

Post a Comment