Thursday, 8 August 2013

Courgettes, peppers and olives

15 Weight Watchers ProPoints
14pp 150g Spaghetti - I like a good plate full!
1pp Olives

Courgette, peppers and olives with pasta

So here's a recipe I've had for essentially using up stuff before it starts to look like compost heap fodder. I always have courgettes, peppers, olives and onions lying around. They form the basis to a few of my regular meals. Well, the peppers and onions do.

It's not too much more difficult than simply throwing tomatoes at the ingredients but I thought I'd throw together a recipe for how it's done. I love this with well salted spaghetti.

Ingredients:

  • 2 Peppers sliced in to strips (different colours look nicer!)

  • 3 Garlic cloves finely sliced

  • 1 Large Onion diced

  • Chilli Pepper (with seeds) sliced

  • 1 Courgette (Zucchini to our American cousins) quartered

  • 7 or 8 pitted green Olives (whole)

  • 500g tinned chopped tomatoes

  • Big squirt of tomato purée

  • Salt and Pepper


So as you can see it's not too dissimilar from my previous recipe with courgettes.

I dice and slice the onion and garlic and fry in a little Fry Light Olive Oil. A few sprays of that and I don't bother counting the points :) I keep the heat around medium to avoid burning the garlic.

Once the onion is softened I add the peppers, courgette and chilli peppers and cook for a further 3 or 4 minutes.

Next it's the tomato purée. I always like to stir in the purée and cook it for a minute or so.
Then I add the chopped tomatoes and season it well with salt and pepper.

At this point I'm boiling the liberally salted water for the pasta. Drop in 150g worth of dry pasta (for a hearty bowl full) and allow it to cook. There's about 10 minutes left for the sauce.

I turn the heat up on the sauce and cook for another 9 minutes before sprinkling the olives in right at the end.

Drain the pasta and serve the sauce immediately. I add Basil from the plant in my kitchen.

Note: I don't use parmesan cheese for this. I really only ever serve parmesan on a meat ragu. I'm told this is how my family in Sicily do things and I've generally always followed it.

I hope you enjoy my healthy, hearty and slightly firey pasta dish :)

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment