Sunday, 28 July 2013

Simple courgette and peppers sandwich filler

0 Weight Watchers Pro Points per serving
largely depending on how you point sugar - some will not point it


sandwich filling


I'm moving further and further away from meat-based meals. I love meat and will continue to eat it. Just not so much.
A local shop has these amazing sandwiches with a mix of peppers, courgettes and onions forming the base for the filling. I thought I'd give it a go myself to save a bit of cash.

In store the sandwich is £2.70. The ingredients to make around 10 sandwiches probably amounts to about the same value.

Ingredients:

  • 2 Peppers (different colours look nicer!)

  • 1 Large Onion

  • Chilli Pepper (with seeds)

  • 1 Courgette (Zucchini to our American cousins)

  • 3 Mushrooms

  • 1 Tblspn White Sugar

  • 1 Tsp Cumin

  • 1 Tsp Paprika

  • Salt and Pepper


This really couldn't be easier. I started off by dicing everything in to thin strips - even the mushrooms. I believe they call this Julienne ;)

Using spray oil I heated a pan up to a medium heat.

The onions went in first quickly followed by the chilli and one of the peppers. I added the sugar and softened them down. Took about 4 minutes.
Then I put the courgettes and mushrooms in and stirred in the Cumin and Paprika. About 5 minutes later I dropped the courgette and remaining pepper in.
I like to have a bit of bite in everything I make. The contrast between firm and soft pepper is a favourite of mine!

I seasoned it all and cooked for around another 5 minutes. The thinly diced nature of the ingredients allows for quick cooking.

Once completed I turned it all out in to a bowl and left to cool. It'll all then go in to the fridge.

I intend to just spoon this out in to a sandwich made with good sliced bread and butter.

No comments:

Post a Comment